• 2 links smoked, cured chorizo sausage, sliced (approx. 2 - 3 cups total)
• 2-3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 cup diced peeled carrot
• 3-4 cups peeled diced potatoes
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• approx. 4 cups chopped fresh kale
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup heavy cream
• salt and pepper to taste
1.Cut up all the vegetables except for the potatoes.
2. Cut two links of chorizo in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick pieces and, it's not necessary but you can pull the casings off after slicing it in half...before chopping it up.
3. Cook it in olive oil on medium to medium high heat and stir it around as it is browning up and, while that's happening, peel and dice the potatoes.
4.Take the sausage out of the pan, once it has browned up, and then add about 1 cup diced onion and about 1 cup diced peeled carrot and about 3 cups of diced potato and cook those along to soften up a bit.
5. Once the onions have turned translucent, add 2 large minced cloves of garlic and about 4 cups of bite size chopped fresh kale and cook that along for a few minutes to cook the kale down a little bit.
6.At that point, add 4 cups chicken broth and about 1 cup of heavy cream.
7. Adjust the heat so it's going along at a steady simmer and when the carrots and potatoes are just cooked through, add the chorizo back to the pot, cook it along for another 4 - 5 minutes, season it to taste and it's good to go.
1. Some versions of this soup will puree everything before adding the chorizo sausage back to the soup.