STALLINGS, N.C. — An overnight fire burned down a golf clubhouse in Stallings.
Officials say it started shortly after midnight Thursday at the Emerald Lake golf course clubhouse. As smoke billowed from parts of the clubhouse, people who live in the area have their theories on what may have happened.
"Either something caught on fire in the kitchen or fireworks. There were a lot of fireworks going on around here last night," said resident Lynn Leflore.
The fire did not spread to nearby homes and no one was hurt. Investigators say it is too soon to tell how the fire started.
"When fire crews got here, they found the clubhouse full engulfed," said Deputy fire marshal Jon Williams.
Williams said crews worked throughout the morning to put out the blaze.
"It's been an ongoing effort of suppression during the whole night. This is a large building so it takes more manpower than larger buildings do," said Williams.
People who live in the community say there were several families still awake late Wednesday night celebrating the holiday, but shortly after midnight all of that changed.
"You could see when you walked over here, big flames shooting out of the top of the clubhouse," said Leflore.
Officials say the building is a total loss.