CHARLOTTE -- Streets around uptown Charlotte will begin closing Wednesday in preparation of the annual Food Lion Speed Street. The event kicks off Thursday and runs through Saturday.
The Coca-Cola 600 is drawing near and that means race fans will soon fill Charlotte’s streets. The annual Speed Street event features concerts and activities for the whole family leading up to Sunday's race.
But for people who live and work in uptown Charlotte, it can create some traffic confusion, so here are street closings you'll need to know about:
• Tryon Street between Third and Eighth streets
• Trade Street between Church and College streets
• Fifth, Sixth and Seventh streets between College and Church streets
• Eighth Street between College and Brevard
• College Street between Fifth and Ninth streets
Other streets may have one lane closed during the event. Several streets will be reopened from now through Friday during the rush hour traffic times of 6 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.